Thursday, March 17, 2011

Is this a good deal????



Hello,



I am new to this forum, and I am interested in buying a Toyota again. My first Toyota was a 1981 4x4 in high school , then a 1983 4x4 in the Navy, and finally a 1991 xtra cab 4x4 when I got married. I got away from Toyota's as my family grew, but they are now in college etc. I have around $6,000 to spend so help me figure out what to buy.



I am looking at a 1996 Rav4 w/ 65,722 miles on it for the same price, but I have always liked the 4runners and have never owned one. What would be your choice, and why.



Thanks in advance!



1988 Toyota 4-Runner - $5200 (Grants Pass)



Date: 2010-10-29, 8:32PM PDT

Reply to: sale-7zuqt-2033080524@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]



1988 Toyota 4 Runner. 4x4, SR5, V6, automatic. 121k original low miles. Power windows, locks and mirrors. Sunroof, A/C, tilt, cruise control. Tow package. New battery. New 31" mud tires (best ones Les Schwab had to offer.) New water pump. New timing belt. New transmission fluid. All original (never modified, lifted or abused). Shiny original paint. Interior is as clean as a whistle. No stains, rips or tears. One of the last years available with the famous removable top. Beautiful condition. I can't go anywhere without someone complimenting how nice it is... even the mechanics down at Wheeler Toyota loved it :-) You just can't find one in this condition. Call 541-660-2930 $5,200



Location: Grants Pass

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests





PostingID: 2033080524

Reply 1 : Is this a good deal????



I know Toyota trucks go for a lot more in your area compared to most of the country, but $5200 still seems high to me for an 88.



The RAV4 is newer, safer, and better MPG, but the 4Runner may be more fun.

Reply 2 : Is this a good deal????




Quote:








Originally Posted by fourwd1
View Post

I know Toyota trucks go for a lot more in your area compared to most of the country, but $5200 still seems high to me for an 88.



The RAV4 is newer, safer, and better MPG, but the 4Runner may be more fun.



I ended up going with the Rav4 after I had our local dealership check it out. The dealer said the Rav needs about $400.00 in brakes and some other minor things, and was well worth the asking price of $5,000 so I said yes. The Rav4 only has 65,722 miles on it and is in excellent shape.



I know what you mean about the prices of Toyota's here in Oregon



Thanks for the reply!

Reply 3 : Is this a good deal????



I have a 88 and a 89 4Runner, the 88 is in great shape like the one in the add. I payed $800.00 for it and spent $890.00 to completly rebuild the engine. It does have 200,000 on it but now has a new engine. $5,200.00 is awful steep for a 4Runner of that age but I would not take less than $4,500.00 for mine if I would even sell it. The Rav4 is not my favorite Toy but I am sure they are a fine vehicle due to Toyota's reputation. I live north of you outside of Corvallis

Reply 4 : Is this a good deal????






Reply 5 : Is this a good deal????



88 is the first year that they offered the v6 in the 4runners, I have an 88 sr5 that has the v6 in it

Reply 6 : Is this a good deal????



I have 2 88 4runners SR5 V-6's between the two in the last 5-8 years i've swapped 5 engines. Latest being 2 weeks ago. Just don't hold up to the abuse I put them through. I do believe this is the last time I swap the V-6, next time its either the 4.3L chev or a small block 350. Possibly going with a 22re. Great rigs! Blast to wheel!

Reply 7 : Is this a good deal????



i love toyotas...but i'm just not sure about the Rav4, they are poorly designed and does not perform as well as a CRV. I say trade the RAV4 for a 4runner, you will love it more.

No comments:

Post a Comment