Friday, March 18, 2011

add roof rails to a base Sienna?



Hello,

I would have purchased a 2011 Sienna fwd base I4 or V6 by now if I could get just one option, roof rails. It's a similar story to my purchasing a base model Tacoma V6 double cab a few years ago and a rear slider was not available as an option at any price. I know why Toyota does this... the next model up commonly on the lot, without special ordering and loosing bargaining power, is $3-4k more. I've contacted a couple of dealers and it seems the roof is even different from the LE and does not accept the Toyota roof rails. Apparently the LE has a threaded insert that accepts bolts from the side rails. The base model does not. It does not seem efficient to me to manufacture 2 different roof panels for one minivan, but this, according to Toyota, is how it is. And there are no fits currently from Yakima or Thule. This stair stepping retail model is really frustrating. To get rails on a Sienna, one has to pay nearly 30K (msrp). Sure, it comes with lots of bells and whistles, but I really don't need or want most of em. I just want a simple well made minivan with a roof rack. Anyone out there with a Sienna base model have a roof rack?? I would sure appreciate your experiences.



Thanks



Tim

Reply 1 : add roof rails to a base Sienna?



Turns out, if you find a dealer who wants to sell a Sienna bad enough, they will order the parts and install the Sienna side rails and since it's dealer install, it'll be covered under warranty. I had dealers quote $1500-2000 for factory roof rails, almost certainly in an attempt to up sell to an LE. But, persistence pays. I found a dealer who will install factory roof rails for $355 on a base V6 Sienna. The Sienna, by the way, is selling for $500 under invoice...



Tim

Reply 2 : add roof rails to a base Sienna?



Tim! I am so happy to hear you had success with the roof rails. Could you give me more info so that I could try to do the same through my dealer? I too went with the base model and I really want that roof rack! Thanks, Dande

Reply 3 : add roof rails to a base Sienna?



Dande,



I don't have much information yet. The parts are on order. I do think the original info I got about there being two different roof panels was b.s. It made no sense at the time, but the parts guy claimed to be looking at a diagram or something.



I would suggest calling a few parts/service departments, unless you have a good relationship with a salesperson who can make the inquiry for you. I'm guessing, in my case, the price for the parts and installation were 'reasonable' because they wanted to make the sale. In my experience, the dealership doesn't give anything away after the buyer and vehicle have left the lot.



I have seen the roof rails for the Sienna for sale on the web. If a dealer isn't willing to help, you might consider buying the parts from Toyota or elsewhere and finding a mechanic to help with the install.



I'll follow up when the side rails are installed.



By the way, any idea how to turn off door mode on the interior lights? When I open one of the doors, all 7 interior overhead lights turn on. I can't find a master switch.



Thanks



Tim



Tim

Reply 4 : add roof rails to a base Sienna?



Redogs, Congrats on the van. thats a good deal plus the roof rack.

What website did you find the racks for the sienna? Most online toyota dealers are expensive. They price the rails alone for 3++ a piece plus the cost of all the necessary hardwares.



Im in the same dilema as you, Dande. Im trying to find roof rails and crooss bars for my base.

So far searches leads me "proline racks" just google it that way. The dynasport or aventura brands on the oermanently roof racks category.

Reply 5 : add roof rails to a base Sienna?



here's one I found. It's an OEM copy, with cross bars, for $230:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2011-...-/350443989977



I've got a friend who is a mechanic for Toyota, he has helped me install a roof rack in the past on a vehicle with no other fitment. In this case it involved removing the headliner, drilling and bolting through the roof. There are other options that don't require removing (or dropping partially) the headliner. The are threaded inserts that work similarly to rivets, install from the outside and compress to hold in place. I'm not sure which option the dealer is going to use on my van. I'll let you know. Good luck



Tim

Reply 6 : add roof rails to a base Sienna?



Ok thanks for the link.how come that don't come up when i search. Sad thing is that they are still on back order.

Let me know how they do it. Thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment