Sunday, March 20, 2011

2001 Corolla S- Belt Tensioner problem



Ok, about a month ago, had my belt tensioner pully replaced because it was making a clacking/tapping type noise. Sound went away.



Recenlty, it came back. I actually found the part making the noise, it's a black shock absorber type thing attatched to the tensioner. It seems spring loaded most likely. I can put my finger right on it and silence in while running. The car is at 116k miles now BTW. But you can feel this part rattling internal and making this noise, it's definitely worn out.



I took it back to the shop that did the work, they said they would have to order the entire tensioner assembly to get that one little part that is attatched by two bolts, and quoted nearly $300 for it.



Can anybody identify this part for me, and is it as easy as it looks to replace? Do I REALLY have to get the entire assembly for this one part?



I am about to take it to the dealer, but I've had nothing but bad luck from dealer too. One guy there tried to top my coolant off with tap water! Another time it took 4 trips to the dealer to fix my doorhandle. Another time the qouted me $260 to replace the belt. So I avoid that place as much as possible.



Thank you.

Reply 1 : 2001 Corolla S- Belt Tensioner problem



Go back to where you had the tensioner replaced one month ago. If they did the work and part they should stand behind it. a part should last more than 30 days. You probably have a warranty even if it was a remanufactured part.

Reply 2 : 2001 Corolla S- Belt Tensioner problem



I am sorry I wasn't clear on this but I understand you talked to the shop people but you need to impress upon them that they need to stand behind their work and parts. I believe that this particular part is a one piece unit and you either replace it or you don't and it sounds like they replaced it the first time. I have a similar prizm and the tensioner is a one piece unit that is held in place by one bolt and is similar to a shock absorber like you described. I do not know what the part goes for since I have not had to replace it but I think I would check a few outlets if I were you to satisfy myself that the figure given is correct.

Reply 3 : 2001 Corolla S- Belt Tensioner problem



the

Reply 4 : 2001 Corolla S- Belt Tensioner problem



the part is one piece

Reply 5 : 2001 Corolla S- Belt Tensioner problem



the part is one piece i

Reply 6 : 2001 Corolla S- Belt Tensioner problem



the part is one piece I replaced it my self

Reply 7 : 2001 Corolla S- Belt Tensioner problem



the part is one piece I replaced it my self had no

Reply 8 : 2001 Corolla S- Belt Tensioner problem



the solution is to change the power steering pump i got the same problem with mi corolla i could swear i was coming from the tensioner shock but i was wrong. take the belt off and move the pulley from the power steering pump you will here a little noise coming from there, change the pump and you will fix the problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment