Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Switch panels (left of steering wheel)



Ok, new around here and tried to do searching, to no avail. I am curious about the switch panel that is to the left of the steering wheel (09 Matrix). I work on a military base and while most of the guys working the gate know that you can't turn off your headlights on later models of Toyotas, some still like to give you an earful for it. Several months ago, I found something online where someone had installed a switch into one of the blanks to the left of the steering wheel, connected to the harness behind the glove box to easily turn on/off the automatic headlights. It would also be nice to sit in a parking lot at night with the car turned on without the need for the headlights to be on.



So does anyone know where I can buy a simple on/off switch to install into one of the blanks? The guys at my local dealership have been no help whatsoever, and can only point me to a traction control switch that's entirely too expensive.

Reply 1 : Switch panels (left of steering wheel)



As usual, my continued searching turns up answers after I finally cave in and post a thread. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Reply 2 : Switch panels (left of steering wheel)



Hey, sorry for the late reply. There is a lot more activity over at MO for more help. I have disabled my auto lights, which also disabled the DRL's. All you need to do is snip a wire behind the glovebox.



Now for a switch, you can wire it up to a simple on/off switch. So when you want your DRL's and auto lights, you keep the switch on. When you want to control your lights yourself (i.e turn them completely off at night), you just switch to off and then you will be able to physically turn your low-beams off as well as not having your DRL's on.



Here are some pictures of the wire you need to cut. I did not put in a switch because I use my fog's as DRL's.



Push in on the two top sides of the glove box and gently pull down. Do not let it just drop as the hydraulic can come out and is apparently hard to put back in:



This is the connector you need to pull out. At the top right hand corner. You probably should disconnect the battery before you do this. I didn't, but its advisable when working with any electronics:





You cut this wire, it is blue, and is adjacent to the thick white/black stripped wire:



Tape the two ends like so, mine is a sloppy job but does the trick. Make sure you leave enough wire in case you want to ever re-connect the two wires. This was an afterthought for me, but I can probably still manage:





Now if you wire up a switch, you obviously skip the last step and solder wire to each ends, and connect to a switch of your choice and locate where is convenient to you!



Finally, enjoy the comfort of controlling your own lights! I take no responsibility if something does not go right, it worked for me and many others, so use at own risk!!!



Hope this helps!

Reply 3 : Switch panels (left of steering wheel)



Just noticed you were looking for a switch as well to go into the empty slots. I was shipped the wrong button when I ordered my fog lights, and have found absolutely no switches that I am certain will fit in the sots. There are a lot of toggle switches that are supposed to fit on eBay, but I don't like the look of those. If you happen to find one let me know! I went to the dealership, and they told me straight up that it will be too expensive, and I would be better off buying aftermarket.

Reply 4 : Switch panels (left of steering wheel)



First off, I greatly appreciate your reply with the demonstration. What I've read in the other thread I found on the subject showed that people have chosen the fog light switch for use in the place of any other switch. The part # recommended was 00550-35976 for an illuminated switch, PT297-89013-sw for a non-illuminated switch. The website claims it's a mere $9-$12, but knowing the way my local dealership milks every penny out of me, I won't be surprised if they want $50+ for it. I'll give it a shot later this week. When I asked them about possible switches before, they replied that the traction control switch is the only on/off switch they know of, and it's something like $60. I could care less about the looks of it, I just want functionality and control, so we'll see how this plays out.



Once again, thanks!

Reply 5 : Switch panels (left of steering wheel)



Perfect! I hope all works out well for you, and doesn't cost you a fortune! Also, thanks for the part numbers. I spent numerous hours looking for them but for some reason couldn't find them!

Reply 6 : Switch panels (left of steering wheel)



just pop it in neutral, turn the car off, pull the ebrake just one click, turn the car on and your headlights wont be on.

No comments:

Post a Comment