Wednesday, March 23, 2011

1989 Camry sometimes will not start



I have a 1989 Camry, most the time it works fine but lately I can't get it to start. When I turn the key the starter works fine it just will not run. I've replaced the spark plugs, distributor, distributor cap, and wires. Still about once or twice a month it won't run. I can let it crank but it won't fire up. Sometimes after it sits for a day or even a few hours, it will just start and run fine. I am at a loss and so is my mechanic. It never stalls, this only happens after I shut it off. Any help would be appreciated!

Reply 1 : 1989 Camry sometimes will not start



There are a few things this could be... my first thought is the fuel pump relay (called the 'Circuit Opening Relay').



Carry around a good jumper wire to connect the Fp and B+ connections in the diagnostics box under the hood the next time this happens.



You may also want to carry an extra spark plug with you so you can check for spark (if somebody is there an can crank the motor for you). Pull a spark plug wire, connect it to the extra plug and touch the threads of the plug to a good ground.



Can you smell raw fuel out the exhaust when it cranks but doesn't start? (you would have to get back there and sniff)



-Charlie

Reply 2 : 1989 Camry sometimes will not start



Sounds like it could be cold start injector time delay switch or the injector itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment