Thursday, March 17, 2011

Antifreeze Question



Hello all,

I have a 2002 Tacoma extended cab with a V6 and it is plowing through antifreeze. I filled it up to the Full line 3 days ago and checked it today and it is close to empty. Has anyone ever had this problem or have any knowledge of what may be causing this? It is not leaking anywhere that I can see, but it is going through it way too fast. I have not asked/seen a mechanic yet because I wanted to try here first.



Thanks for your time

Reply 1 : Antifreeze Question



Look for any dried antifreeze around the engine block. It may have dried before it dripped on the ground. Or, worst case scenario, you could have a head gasket problem.

Reply 2 : Antifreeze Question



Best get a pressure test. Sounds like it is leaking in to the combustion chamber.

Reply 3 : Antifreeze Question




Quote:








Originally Posted by Redrat
View Post

Best get a pressure test. Sounds like it is leaking in to the combustion chamber.



I will look into this..Is it a serious problem if it is leaking into the combustion chamber??? I feel like I need to say that the antifreeze is always full in the actual radiator. The over flow tank is what I keep having to fill up. Just feel like I needed to add that but it may be obvious to most of you. I'm new to all this

Reply 4 : Antifreeze Question



Fill the radiator, leave the cap off and start it up. If you have bubbles, you have issues which normally means head gasket.

Reply 5 : Antifreeze Question



If you don't see any external leaks it is serious.

Reply 6 : Antifreeze Question



Pressure test is not expensive and should tell you something.

Reply 7 : Antifreeze Question



Pull your engine oil dipstick and describe what the oil looks like.

No comments:

Post a Comment