Thursday, March 17, 2011

88 corolla fx, very little power...



how's everyone? thanx for looking, first of all. Anyway, my FX hatch has very little power. I've noticed that the car has a "puff,puff,puff" sound out of the exhaust instead of the usual "puuurrrrrr", the car gets slightly hot, just at the meduim of the heat gauge, cooling fan on. The car will not go above 25 mph.



I suspect that the car has a vacuum leak somewhere in the intake, or worse, might need a new carb, as i hear a slight hissing coming from the area, but I cant be sure until i can get the car to my college tomorrow. I've also heard that the exhaust might be plugged, but with the car just passing smog about 4 months ago and with new piping, I personally doubt it...The car shifts just fine, so I dont think that the clutch is slipping. And when my friend sold me the car, he told me that he never heard a sound or anything breaking. Apperantly, he shut the car down one night and it was perfectly normal, and later that evening when he tried to drive off, it just started acting up in this way.



The owners prior to my friend were running it on a burned 02 sensor, and I am thinking maybe some carbon depostits on a valve?



I am getting the car to my school tomorrow, but if any of you have any questions or advice, please offer it. thanks again

Reply 1 : 88 corolla fx, very little power...



Hello to all that looked and didn't reply lol. Anyway, after two days, I discerned that my distributor needed replacing, and now my little FX runs great. Sorry for the n00b thread!

No comments:

Post a Comment