Thursday, March 17, 2011

22r knock



Hello, I have a 1986 4 runner with a 22r with a carb when I first start up it sounds great but after a few minutes of running it begins to knock followed by stalling out. I just gave it a tune up and I'm looking for help

Reply 1 : 22r knock



Was it knocking before you did the tune-up? What did you do as far as the tune-up?

Reply 2 : 22r knock



Hello, thanks for the reply. As far as a tune up I replaced plugs, wires,cap,rotor,air filter,fuel filter and fixed the leak in the headder with a toyota gasket. I have had the runner for a month or two and its sat, since I've had it I've come to find out that the EFI motor lost a rod and they replaced it with a 22R witha carb. The new motor came out of a truck that was put on its passanger side I've been looking at vacume lines and making sure things are in the right location. The rig runs great for about 3 to 4 minutes and about the time the cold start shuts down it starts to knock then it stalls out. It will fire right back up but still knocks and wants to die, if I keep my foot in it it will stay running but keeps knocking

Reply 3 : 22r knock



Sorry for the delay. Does the knocking sound like its coming from the bottom end? Id check the oil pump and oil pick up tube/screen. Im wondering if its not pumping the oil up to the top end. Just a thought.

Reply 4 : 22r knock



The 2.4 motors are noise maker, but then they are awesome engine. I have a 85 4runner with the 22re, and when i first got the truck it knocked too. I thought it was the rod bear that went out, but my mechanic surprising fix it by adjusting the valves.



He told me that most of the time if the knock is noticeable but not too loud, it's the valves making the noise; and that the noise was transmitting into the block making it sounds like a knocking rod.

Reply 5 : 22r knock



Hello dont worry about the delay were all buisy. I ended up pulling the oil pan and doing an inspection, cleaned the oil pump and wiped up the pan. We ran out the valves and made some adjustments then I drained the fuel tank because it was sitting for a month or two and got some new gas. My next issue is my low fuel light stays on with a full tank

Reply 6 : 22r knock




Quote:








Originally Posted by High country
View Post

. My next issue is my low fuel light stays on with a full tank



It must be a wiring issue, lmk when you find the problem, because my light wont turn on.

Reply 7 : 22r knock



Is the fuel gauge working properly? Like kvue said, sounds like a wiring issue. Which are always fun to trace.

No comments:

Post a Comment